Sizes are commonly in the 12 to 18-litre size, with some capable of cooking a turkey of up to 16-pounds, or a ham up to 14-pounds. The best infrared cooker features a glass bowl made from tempered, heat-resistant glass. Beware of the plastic components of some cookers as they crack over time. Some infrared cooking ovens include a stainless steel extender ring which increases the overall cooking capacity.
Triple Combo Cooking Power
The best infrared countertop oven uses conduction, convection or infrared heating to cook food. Some models include all three of these cooking methods as a “triple combo” of food preparation power. The main thrust of this kind of product is that the length of cooking time is typically 50-percent faster than a conventional oven and uses much less energy (between 75 and 85-percent less) making them a good choice for quick and efficient cooking of various meals. If you are looking for recipe ideas, you can get inspiration here at the Cooking Detective.
Here 7 different models/styles of halogen infrared convection countertop ovens using this technology. We review them indepth further down the page.
Here are your 7 Questions & Answers FAQ’s on How Does An Infrared Oven Work?
Who Are These Infrared Cookers Good For?
These ovens can be used anywhere such as: for singles, couples, seniors, busy families, RV life, boats, dorm rooms and even take camping. The powerful and fast cooking combos make these units incredibly versatile.
The Various Cooking Methods
The second selling point of an infrared/combo portable cooker is the many different ways it can prepare foods. It can grill, steam or air fry. It can broil, bake or barbecue. It will also roast or dehydrate whatever you place in the container and set it to do. As this kind of appliance uses heat generated from a lamp, there is no oil required making this an excellent alternative cooking method resulting in low fat food preparation.
Do you love having friends and family around for a BBQ? here are some great infrared grills to think about….
A portable infrared cooker usually comes packaged with a tong to handle food, two different cooking racks to allow for different items to be cooked or baked at the same time, and an instruction manual. These manuals often include a few recipes or recipe ideas to encourage immediate use of the product upon unpackaging. Dials vary from model to model but usually are just for temperature and cooking time settings.
The Health Benefits Of Infrared Cookers
There are several health benefits to infrared cooking and they may not all be as obvious as the fact that there is no need for water, oils or fats used to provide a cooking substance. In addition to the low fat cooking style and low energy use, infrared cooking results in evenly cooked meals. There is no need for defrosting or preheating either so meal preparation is fast. Read up on how infrared cooking works
Food Retains Moisture and Nutrients
Evenly cooked meals retain juices and nutrients that may otherwise be discarded with oil-style cooking. Another health benefit comes from the vast variety of cooking styles that are possible with infrared cooking including steaming. Plus, infrared cookers do not heat up a kitchen or release unnecessary amounts of moisture into the home that could develop into mold or mildew.
Other Points To Consider
Food prepared with infrared heat does not burn, nor will it dry out. The method preserves the natural moisture content present in the meats and vegetables that are placed in the dishwasher safe cooking bowl. The high heat produced by the halogen bulb inside the cooker is what does all the work. Foods are essentially cooked from the warm air that surrounds them. When you are looking at purchasing a top rated infrared benchtop cooker, make sure you read those infrared convection oven reviews. Other peoples experience is good way to determine if the model will suit your needs…
1) Oyama TRO-110C Turbo Convection Oven, 12 L
The Oyama Turbo Convection Oven manufacturers claim that the “super heated circulating air” from this top rated infrared benchtop cooker produces healthier meals because it cooks foods in their own juices. While that is the basic premise behind convection cooking, this unit is capable of roasting, baking, broiling and grilling which makes it a tremendous multi-tasking appliance.
The Oyama can cook a meal for 1 to 3 people quite easily. It’s also one of the best infrared countertop ovens to use when you are traveling in your RV and wanting to keep the heat down.
You really can cook a nice steak in around 14 minutes. Pork chops are moist and juicy and you can cook every type of vegetable without losing healthy vitamins and minerals that boiling and roasting can destroy. As the meat is resting on the wire rack at the base, fat drips off and down so your meat isn’t stewing in fats.
Large 12 litre Heat Resistant Glass BowlThe best part about this oven, is easily the large volume of food capably hold at a time. Where this cooker really excels is that it contains a 12 litre tempered, heat resistant glass cooking bowl which allows for larger meal preparation.
The Cooking Time & Temperature
There are separate dials to control the cooking time and temperature and the package comes complete with two wire cooking racks and plate tong. There are also several recipes inside the instruction manual to get you going as soon as you unpack it.
Benefits of the Oyama:
- 12 litre tempered glass bowl, 12.5 inches in length, to 13 inches in width and 15.5 inches in height
- Perfect for families, single people, RV’ers to grill, bake, steam and roast your favorite meals quickly
- Weighs in at approximately 14.8 pounds
- Doesn’t heat up the kitchen, perfect for using in hot weather of small spaces, ie RV’s
- Large and easy to clean tempered heat resistant 12 liter glass bowl
- Individual dials for setting preferred temperature and cooking time
- 2 Wire cooking racks, plate tong and instruction manual with recipes included
Cleaning Up After A Meal
Who hates trying to scrub off encrusted and burnt food matter off pots and pans? In fact, who dislikes cleaning up numerous items after cooking? I know I do! The beauty of using infrared cooking means food doesn’t stick as it doesn’t burn. You can pop the tempered glass bowl in the dishwasher and it will come up sparkling clean.
Healthier All Round
We’ve all heard and read in the magazines and papers about the many dire health consequences of using Teflon coated pans, cooking at high temperatures in aluminium pans and any other host of possible carcinogenic practices. Sometimes it’s almost enough to make me feel like not eating!
The good thing about using glass, is it’s really healthy to use as it doesn’t leak nasty chemicals when its heated.
2) NuWave Pro Plus Oven with Stainless Steel Extender RingThe NuWave 20632 Pro Plus Oven uses a healthy combination of conduction, convection and infrared cooking technology to cook food quickly and easily.
The Pro Plus Oven, when it’s fully assembled with the extender, measures 15-3/4″ x 15″ in width and 16″ high. If you are looking for a nice sized, compact infrared benchtop cooker, the Nuwave is well worth investigating…
If you are looking to serve a meal for 1 to 3 people, this unit will do that. I’d recommend getting another one if you are cooking for more people however.
The NuWave Uses 75% Less Energy While Cooking
As a result, the manufacturer states this specific cooker uses 75-percent less energy and 70-percent faster cooking times compared to a standard oven. The size of this portable cooker will allow you to roast, grill, barbecue, broil, bake, steam, air fry or dehydrate foods.
The Perfect Cooker
What if you want to cook a large piece of meat? The NuWave easily accommodates a 14-pound ham or a 16-pound turkey with ease. There are three different settings (Warm, Reheat, Delay) with a default to 155 degrees for two hours and the delay timer setting lets you start cooking at a pre-set time you have entered. This is the perfect cooker for an RV, boat, apartment or neighborhood gathering.
Benefits of the NuWave:
- Benefits of infrared, conduction & convection cooking methods
- Cooks 70% faster than your usual oven using 75% less power
- Choice of settings from “Warm to Reheat and Delay” settings and will default to 155 Degree for 2 hours
- Set your meal cooking times with the timer
- Capably handles a 16 lb. turkey or 14 lb. ham
What Foods Can This Oven Cook?
Curious about some of the foods you can cook? The NuWave cooks steaks, hamburgers, bacon, fish and chicken. Baked potatoes turnout beautiful and crispy, any vegetables are perfectly cooked with a little crunch if you choose to…. And you can even do biscuits, pizza rolls and pictures if you want to, so it’s a pretty good all round benchtop other in which the whole family can use.
3) NuWave 20631 Oven Pro Plus, BlackThe Nuwave 20361 is a less expensive model than the above model. Using the manufacturer’s term of “triple combo cooking power” this cooker uses conduction, convection and infrared cooking technology.
This model is just a little smaller than it’s big sister above, measuring 15.25 x 15.25 x 12.25 and weighing
What Is Conduction, Convection & Infrared Cooking?
Just briefly, in case you didn’t know, conduction or convection heat is just like a conventional oven. Convection heat works by circulating hot air around the food. Infrared heat works by cooking on the outside and inside at the same time.
The NuWave 20631 All But Washes The Dishes!
This sophisticated technology gives you the benefits of creating a healthy meal by air frying, steaming, roasting, broiling, baking, barbecuing, grilling and dehydrating foods all in one convenient appliance. Where this particular product stands out is what it doesn’t do.
For example, it uses 85% less energy and cooks 50% faster than a standard oven, using temperatures ranging from 107 to 342 degrees F.
Benefits of the NuWave 20631:
- Create a fast and healthy family meal with 50% faster cooking time
- Uses 85% less energy with a range of 107˚F – 342˚F
- 10 power levels
- Cooks up to a 10 lb turkey
- Reversible 1″ / 4″ cooking rack
There are a total of 10 power levels you can use depending on what you are cooking and it will hold up to a 10-pound turkey. Plus, the 1-inch/4-inch cooking rack is reversible to add to the diversity of cooking options.
4) Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Oven
Big Boss Rapid Wave is a super wave oven, it’s big at 16 quarts and it’s fast. This is another multi-cooking halogen infrared convection countertop oven to prepare meals quickly and easily. If you are a health enthusiast, you’ll appreciate the lack of oils or fats generally needed when cooking.
Cooks Food 3 Times Faster
The manufacturer says this product will cook foods “up to three times faster” than a conventional oven and does so with a tightly sealing locking lid.
This countertop convection oven will broil, roast, air fry, bake, grill, steam and boil foods without the use of oil resulting in delicious, low-fat meals. The tightly sealed lid locks in moisture and heat, cooking your food to healthy, low fat perfection. Dishwasher safe and featuring simple to use and understand controls, it comes complete with removable trays and a see-through cooking bowl.
The bowl is designed from thick, tempered glass for durability and longevity which is important. We have noted some models where the plastic components have degraded with heat over time. That’s a point to keep in mind when you are deciding which model to buy…
Benefits of the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Oven:
- Triple cooking power cooks extra fast
- 16 quart sized tempered glass bowl
- Choice of temperature settings along with a timer
- Comes with an extender ring, allowing fat to drip away from food
- Very easy to clean after cooking your meal
- Includes a small recipe book to get you started
- No need to defrost food before cooking
- Safety mode stops cooking when you lift up the handle
5) Rosewill Infrared Halogen Convection Oven, 12.6-18 QuartUsing the combination of halogen, convection and infrared technologies, the Rosewill cooker will cook meals fast, evenly and without the need for defrosting or preheating. You can have dinner on the table from freezer to plate in 60 mins. A definite bonus if your lives are as busy as mine, which I am sure they are!
It features a 12- 17 litre tempered, heat resistant glass bowl, a stainless steel extender ring, tong and two cooking racks. The extender ring gives you the option of extending the cooking size to cater for larger meals. The manufacturer says this unit cooks up to 50-percent faster and uses up to 75-percent less energy than conventional ovens. The design incorporates simple to read and easy to use dials for setting both the cooking time and temperature.
Benefits of the Rosewill:
- 12-17 liter or 18 quart liter tempered heat resistant glass bowl which is dishwasher safe
- Cook food up to 50% faster with convection and infrared cooking
- Powerful halogen heating and convection circulates heated air around the oven to evenly cook food
- No preheating or defrosting required- freezer to plate
- Food keeps moist on the inside and brown and crispy on the outside
- Includes stainless steel extender ring, 2 stackable cooking racks plus a pair of tongs
- Easy to use dials for setting temperature and cooking time
Easy And Safe To Use
The Rosewill Infrared Oven is so easy to use and it’s not so heavy at 9 pounds. There is a handle at the top so you can hang it from a kitchen hook.
6) Secura Turbo Oven Countertop Convection CookerHalogen heating is the secret behind the convection cooking of the Secura Turbo Convection Oven. As a result, foods are cooked fast in this popular countertop convection oven, without needing the addition of oils or fats. As we have mentioned above, these ovens can broil, grill, roast, bake, fry, barbecue and steam which makes them so versatile.
This is best infrared cooker which is a smaller sized unit for singles and couples. Many people commented in their convection oven reviews on the improved design and durability over some other models. When you are deciding which model to buy, please do your homework. The time spent can make all the difference in buying and infared cooker you love and will last for years.
Benefits of the Secura:
- 12 liter heat resistant bowl, perfect for meals for 1 to 3 people
- Glass lid prevents cracking
- Convection cooking using halogen heating makes cooking delicious meals fast
- No oils or fats needed producing a healthy low fat meal for those losing weight
- The Secura Turbo Oven is self cleaning and dishwasher
- Includes dual rack, tongs and extension ring
You can set the desired temperature and length of cooking time with the manual dials. There is a power setting dial which features Fahrenheit and Celsius plus the timer which can be set for 60 mins.
The nice design aspect of the lid: it can be turned upside down to fit back into the bowl so you can store it under your benchtop.
The heat resistant glass bowl is dishwasher safe and self cleaning which makes clean up a breeze. The cooker comes with a tong, dual rack, a low rack and an extension ring.
7) Fagor 12 Quart Halogen Tabletop OvenThe Fagor 12-quart size tabletop oven is portable and does not heat up the kitchen when in use.
This makes the Fagor the perfect cooker for when you are RV traveling, on a boat, in a dorm room or have limited kitchen countertop space or need to whip up fast healthy and nutritious low fat meals. You can even bake a beautiful chocolate cake, or a batch of delicious crunchy cookies….
Benefits of the Fagor:
- 12 quarts gives you ample cooking space for a chicken and vegetables
- Available in black or red
- cook anything from all cuts of meats, vegetables,cookies and cakes
- Perfect for using in homes, RV’s, small kitchens, boats, student dorm rooms and camping
- Cook on 2 levels at once with 2 stackable racks
- Includes a lid support rack and instruction/recipe book
The Speed Of CookingIt will broil, bake, roast, grill and steam faster than conventional ovens and will do so using a fraction of the energy. Fagor says it cooks faster by 25 to 50% than your regular convection oven which is a blessing when you lead a busy life!
The oven comes with a pair of stackable racks, a lid support rack and instruction booklet that also contains several recipes and recipe ideas to get you cooking in no time.
The Best Infrared Countertop Oven Is More Than Just Hot Air..
As you can see, there are several products available in the marketplace that use this cooking method. The fact that they are portable cookers makes them versatile in many different settings ranging from outdoors, in a camper or just for a fast snack while entertaining friends. You can also use them to prepare larger family meals all at a fraction of the cost of using your normal oven when creating a healthy and nutritious meal. One of the best benefits is the lack of mess! Cleaning up afterwards is simple, either handwash the bowl, or put it in the dishwasher.
I can see the many benefits of purchasing best infrared countertop oven for your needs because it can be used pretty well anywhere you have a power point, great for students when they leave home, perfect for singles and seniors, people on the run. They offer you ease and that’s a big plus for me as often I don’t feel like cooking for the family after a busy day. What you can cook in one of these infrared cooking ovens is only limited to your imagination….